January 24, 2011

What Valentine's Day Means to Me

When I was a kid in elementary school, Valentine's Day meant two things: candy and cards.  I remember exchanging fun little mini-cards filled with lollipops and chocolates with all my classmates.  It was about fun, friendship, and...let's face it...candy!

Now that I'm an adult, Valentine's Day is a lot different.  To most, Valentine's Day is about extravagant gifts, roses, jewelry, sexy lingerie, etc.  Or, about disappointment when you don't have a special someone to share it with, or if he/she doesn't give you the aforementioned gifts.  To me, it's about spending time with that person you care most about.  It doesn't even have to be a significant other; I used to love going to see romantic comedies with my best girlfriends on V-Day.  Even though I think people tend to put too much emphasis on V-Day, and build it up too much, it is nice to have that day out of the year where you set aside quality time that you spend with someone.  Anniversaries, birthdays, Valentine's Days...well there aren't many other days that you can actually do that!  That is why I'm not as cynical as some about the holiday.

What does Valentine's Day mean to you?  What's your favorite thing to give on Valentine's Day?

Image from XKCD.com

5 comments:

Brea said...

Hi! I'm returning the love and following you back :)

Valentines is just another day at our house. My hubby and I try to have a nice home-cooked dinner, but we try not to make it about the holiday and more about just enjoying spending time together. I do make him a card, though...I know, I'm a nerd. :)

Madeline said...

I really agree with you! It's about the people in your life that you love! Not the gifts.

My husband and I go out to dinner and do something together. We either go bowling, go to the movies, something where we are with each other for a good amount of time. It's about reaffirming the relationship for us. We don't do gifts most of the time, unless it's something we both want or need.

Katie Barrett said...

Following you back from Misadventures Of A Family Of 8! Cute blog!! :O)

*ashley* said...

you know my feelings about valentines day..not my favorite, i wear black, i am SO cool...it's just another day and it irritates me because i'm always on the other side...

i celebrate by showing my friends love...maybe a funny gift if i happen to find one, but nothing planned...maybe a girl date with my other single friends-that's probably it

Unknown said...

Ashley--I watched He's Just Not That Into You with Jessica on VDay 2009 haha. It's not all about the boys!