January 23, 2011

How to Dress Frugally

Just because you're on a budget doesn't mean you can't look cute!  First of all, I did break my "no shopping" rule on this dress, but only because it's a necessity.  I have a wedding coming up in March, and I wanted to get the buying of the dress out of the way.  It's also the first wedding I'll have gone to since I was a little girl!  So I'm pretty excited to get all dressed up.  Anyways...

Here is the breakdown of my entire outfit:
  • Dress: $30 on sale at Francesca's boutique
  • Bracelet: $12 at Francesca's
  • Necklace (that little pearl at the neckline, very tiny): $14 at Francesca's
  • Shoes: $35 from boutique that I've had for several years
  • Purse: $?? from my High School Prom!! 
So what are lessons to be learned from this?
  • You can buy an entirely new outfit for less than $60
  • Learn to go "shopping" in your own closet--that's how I found the old purse and shoes!
  • Shop at small boutiques instead of department stores--the sale racks have higher quality clothes than you'll find at dept stores
  • I went to several different stores before I got this find; don't get frustrated if you can't find it immediately.  This is why you must shop further in advance

2 comments:

*ashley* said...

that dress looks awesome! i'll have to show you mine..not as frugal but it was super on sale and i look smashing..yes, smashing in it..i can't wait to see you, date!!!

Michelle Vandepol said...

i love this! also, inspired by your do less shopping month. have you read the book animal, vegetable... by barbara kingsolver. totally inspiring :)

check out my solutions to new wardrobe "needs"
my valentine's dress

http://nothisplace.blogspot.com/2011/02/assorted-priorities-as-fuelled-by-sugar.html

my new year's dress

http://nothisplace.blogspot.com/2011/01/upcycling-for-new-years.html