February 10, 2011

HEB Almond Milk Product Review

I'm an avid drinker of regular normal moo cow milk.  My usual choice is 2%, or 1% if I'm feeling extra healthy.  Today, I ran across a great deal for H-E-B brand Almond Milk Original which was originally $2.48, and had a $1.00 off coupon.  I also remember my friend Ashley from Go Get Smashed saying something about how good almond milk tastes.  I'm a little hesitant about dairy/meat substitutes, but I wanted to give it a shot since it was so cheap.

Let me begin by saying that almond milk has a lot less calories than regular milk.  It's also better if you have any sort of lactose intolerance (I think most people have it to some degree).  It's also a great way to segue into veganism.

Here are the nutrition facts:

Serving Size 1 Cup
Calories:  60
Total Fat: 2.5g

Compare to a cup of 2% milk
Calories: 120
Total Fat: 5g

It's literally HALF the calories and fat of milk.  But does it taste good?  My answer: yes.  I don't drink milk much outside of cereal, and when mixed with my Quaker Oatmeal squares, it tastes very similar, actually thicker, than my 2% milk.

I'm going to try the chocolate almond milk next!

****UPDATE:  Just tried the Original with my Special K Red Berries and it was great!  Loved it!****

2 comments:

*ashley* said...

i'm obsessed with almond milk haha! I am so glad you liked it!!

Unknown said...

The chocolate almond milk tastes identical to regular chocolate milk. No aftertaste or anything.